[pct-l] Light weight water sanitizer

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Mon Mar 10 15:22:27 CDT 2008

A high concentration of chlorine with a long exposure time is required
to inactivate Giardia cysts.

Regular chlorine is generally considered ineffective, or at least far
inferior to iodine treatment, in the conditions generally experienced
by backpackers. However Giardia cysts are fairly large and easy to
filter out.

That being said, I firmly believe that the giardia threat in mountain
surface water is overstated.

HOWEVER, I think the threat from bacteria and other nasties,
especially in the SoCal desert regions is very real. Bacteria are much
smaller and harder to filter than Giardia cysts, but are much easier
to treat chemically.