[pct-l] Digital photo management

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 21:21:10 CDT 2008

There are lots of options.
  When media cards were expensive - many mailed them home others had a portable hard drive in their box bucket.

  There are few places that you can upload photos to and none that are right on the trail.  This would also make editing the pictures later much more difficult and is very time consuming - when you will be more interested in Calories and Bathing.

  This year - cards are so cheap and small (I just bought a 1 gig for 20 bucks).  I'd recommend buying 3-10 gigs of memory.  When they are full mail them to a safe place have someone burn them onto a more permanent memory source (Cd's and hard drives) and not worry about mailing them back.

  With a 6 MB camera in the past I would go  through a gig every 3-500 miles or so and I take a lot of pictures ---- and am a professional photographer.

  Shutterbugg

katherine becksvoort <kabecksv at hotmail.com> wrote:

So, as I'm new to the digital age since my last thru (I used film), I have some questions.

How are folks that are hiking/have hiked managing their digital media cards? In towns, are you dowloading onto a public site like flickr or snapfish? Can that be done off of a shared public computer?

Or are folks mailing media cards home to their trail partner peaople to download and then have them mail that media back empty?

Thanks,
MoonPie