[pct-l] Has anyone carried a full size DSLR for the entire PCT?

Paul paul_c at tuxcnc.org
Sun Mar 16 11:47:54 CDT 2008

On Sunday 16 March 2008 04:51, Tortoise wrote:
> Back in the good old days before digital, way before digital, I did week
> long trips carrying a Canon FT QL in leather case often with an extra lens.
> My camera was supported with a lanyard connected to my pack frame above my
> head so that the lanyard did not hang on my neck.

I often carry camera equipment in a smallish shoulder bag - To keep the weight
off my neck/shoulder, I have a couple of small karabiners to clip each side
of the bag to the pack shoulder straps.

> Andrew Siemer wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone had successfully carried a full size DSLR and
> > gear across PCT?  Something like a Canon 5d, couple of lenses, batteries,
> > tripod (perhaps monopod instead),

If you want a monopod, look at the Leki Sierra AS - It has a 1/4UNC thread in
the top of the pole (covered by a wooden knob). A good compromise between a
Manfrotto 'pod and a hiking pole in my opinion. Certainly a lot lighter than
a decent tripod.

Regards, Paul.

P.S. If you are at the ADZKO, we could get together & swap notes.