[pct-l] harrison maps for yosemite

Jordan2ynp at aol.com Jordan2ynp at aol.com
Sun Mar 16 14:25:12 CDT 2008

Hey Moondog:

       As far as maps go from the PCT to get to the valley, one does not need
one. Once you get to Tuolumne Meadows there are a couple of options you could
use to get to the valley:

Option A: After each shift there are people working at the store who take the
employee shuttle to the valley. When I worked in Yosemite we loaded the
shuttle with any hiker who wanted a lift. The normal bus costs around $20 I think.
Also, this well give you the chance to meet some park employees who all have
1/2 food cards, and they are known to love to spread the wealth.

Option B: Take a side trail (well marked) and hike up to Clouds Rest (7.8
MI). Here you have the BEST view of the park. You'll see from the high country to
the valley. Then you continue on the trail for another 8 miles before
reaching the connector to Half Dome. There you can go up to the top adding around
another 3 miles (most famous hike in the park). The only drawback is if it's a
busy day the cables well be very crowded to and from the top. Then you can hike
down from Half Dome to the valley and pass some beautiful waterfalls, and the
OFFICIAL starting point of the JMT. In all this well add around 22.5 miles to
your hike, but it is the best day hike in the park.

Option C: It is not hard to hitch a ride to the Valley from TM. The
"Daylings" drive up to see the meadow, and then drive back to the valley. One of them
could give you a lift. (Keep in mind these are people who see everything by car
and don't hike so....)

Any other Yosemite questions?

Good Times

PS. Finally an area where I can be of help!