[pct-l] crampon fit

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Sun Mar 16 19:49:05 CDT 2008

Mark V wrote:
"Looking at the Stubai Universals, i don't see anything in the design to
make me believe they would be any more stable with trail runners than my
regular Grivel 10-point crampons...other than they SAY they are.  Is there
really anything to their claim?  Why?"

I have no experience with Grivel's, and so can't make any comparison with
those; if you like your Grivel's, not sure why you're thinking of a switch
(weight maybe?).

I do have a pair of aluminum Stubai's --- I don't know if they're
"universals", but they look about the same as the picture, red rubberized
units that go over the toe and heel part of the shoe to form the binding.
They work great on my trail runners, I've not had any issues with stability;
perhaps the nature of the tread might impact this depending on the shoe,
dunno.  The bindings hold the crampon very securely on a shoe or boot.

And ten-point crampons can do a fine job in a fairly wide range of
activities short of fairly extreme climbing: I was completely comfortable
climbing Mt. Adams with these (albeit with boots rather than trail runners
for that climb).

Caveat: they're too heavy for me to consider carrying on the PCT, I'll bring
the no-longer-for-sale ULA 6-point mini-crampons for the Sierras.

	Brian Lewis