[pct-l] Sierra snow

trail-name-here trail-name-here at comcast.net
Sun Mar 16 19:57:25 CDT 2008

Just a casual observation about the snow around Tahoe...

Up til last week the snow had been melting at a pretty steady rate. Its been
sunny and warm - in the 40's - for over ten days until about this past
Wednesday. Not to much accumulation though. I needed snowshoes around Donner
and the trail to Tallac, but the melt was evident. Snow is still above 4000
ft.

It will be different locally and all really depends on temperature and
sunshine as well as aspect and tree cover. I've been over Sonora Pass as
early as May. Granted,  I was uncomfortable without crampons, but the ice
axe is a must. I carry crampons now whenever that sitch might come up again.

If I were going over Forrester in late May or early June, I'd want crampons,
ice axe, and several other people breaking trail in front of me. But that's
just me.

tnh