[pct-l] as anyone carried a full size DSLR for the entire PCT?

Travis Beals trbeals at berkeley.edu
Sun Mar 16 22:41:00 CDT 2008

Hi Andrew,

I'm also thinking of bringing a DSLR on the PCT (Canon Digital Rebel
XTi, which is a bit lighter but also less durable than the 5D). I'm
only hiking the ~500 miles from Walker Pass to Soda Springs (i.e., the
Sierras), but I'm still not sure if it's worth the weight. I've
previously brought my DSLR on short hikes (3-6 days) in the Sierras,
and gotten great pictures, but it was a substantial hassle. In
particular, it's hard to find a way to carry a DSLR that's not either
in the way or hard to get at.

I recently acquired a Casio EX-V8, which is a nice little point-and-
shoot with 7x optical zoom and no external moving parts (i.e., totally
internal zoom mechanism, which should make it more trail-resistant).
This camera is my alternate choice if I don't bring the DSLR.

I'd appreciate it if you could pass on any information you come up
with during your research on the issue. In particular, I'm interested
in knowing about how to manage battery & memory card logistics on the
trail. On one trip in the Sierras, I shot about 150 pictures in 3
days, but other trips have yielded far fewer photos per day. It's hard
to know what to budget for in terms of spare batteries and memory cards.

-Travis