[pct-l] Big Bear SAR and frostbite update

cvano at tmail.com cvano at tmail.com
Mon Mar 17 13:28:19 CDT 2008

Got a 404 on this one.  Would like to see it though.  Any ideas?  I do
have a personal locater beacon mounted on my PFD for sailing but it's
too big and heavy for hiking.  Could you see the Coast Guard steaming up
the side of Mt. Whitney????   As a side note, Seattle Mountain Rescue
said they could in deed home in on it even though it was made for
nautical applications.  The frequencies are the same, 121.5 and 241 some
kind of hertz

Frostbite

I did loose part of my left big toe from the frostbite.  They took it
off Monday morning.  I didn't lose as much as I thought I would and
recovery is going very well.  I had already had breakfast and was
outside smoking an hour after surgery.  Didn't have a general anestetic,
just a local nerve block.  Lost maybe a half inch of toe and the nail
and have 8 stitches.  I walk fine in the morning but have a very
pronounced limp by the end of the day.  Also my calf hurts by then.  I'm
sure this will get better as the healing progresses and I quit trying to
walk with my big toe up in the air.  It only hurts on impact or when I
try to stretch it either up or down.

Looking forward to day and overnight hiles this summer and still
planning the JMT next year.