[pct-l] from a frequent US-Canada border crosser

conniedavis at earthlink.net conniedavis at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 17 20:51:48 CDT 2008

We live in BC, our families are in WA.  We cross the border A LOT!

I would recommend a passport if at all possible.

As people have noted, it must be a REAL birth certificate with the watermarks, official seal, etc AND a government issued photo ID.

If you have a passport, it's a lot easier.  You'll get fewer questions and you don't know what kind of a mood the person is in on the other side of the desk.

Also, I would answer questions with the minimum amount of information possible.  When they ask what you've been doing in Canada, just say hiking.
When they ask how long you've been in Canada, just say 1 day or whatever.
The more you say, the more they will ask. I know you would like to brag and tell the whole world about your accomplishment but in my opinion the border is not the time to do it!

If you are hiking with a dog, you need additional paperwork--a recent vet exam and immunization record. Also don't carry dog food between the countries unless you know where it was manufactured, have the original container and have read everything on the websites about crossing the border with a pet.

Lookout
Yarrow, BC