[pct-l] CA Section C conditions question

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Fri Mar 21 23:17:03 CDT 2008

We are planning a week long hike in section C from Onyx Summit to Mojave
Forks "dam" starting Sunday.  We are aware we will have to walk the dirt
road in Holcomb Valley from 2N09 to 3N16 because of the trail closure.
We had a long talk with Audrey at Discovery Center today about the
closure.  She says the work required is too extreme and dangerous for
volunteer crews, and she is contracting with pro crews to do it.
Nonetheless she expects the closure to last TWO YEARS.  She says there
are hundreds of dead burnt trees on the trail or hanging over the trail
in the closed section.  We will be doing deadfall removal on all the
trail that we are allowed to walk next week.  Lead llama Wicket will
carry the chain saw.  Good boy!
So has anyone walked this segment of trail in the last week and can you
tell me anything about trail conditions, such as snow on trail, water
issues, or any trail obstacles you can recall?  We are aware that the
area got fresh snow last Saturday, but the ranger says it is melted out
anywhere the sun shines.  Heck, we got snow at our house last Saturday.
Marion