[pct-l] CA Section C conditions question

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 01:40:46 CDT 2008

Today I was in the burn area near Green Valley Lake just North of the PCT.  There was at least 6 RV's and a helicopter with crews working on removing the burnt trees.  The helicopter was heading North towards the PCT but not sure where they were pulling trees.  They were not there last Friday so they are working.  The license plates were from Oregon so I would guess it would be contract work.

  As for the snow - we were at the same elevation of much the trail South of Holcomb Valley (7000 ft) and the North Faces had patchy snow and what snow was there was very icy.  Not really GOAT friendly.  Things have melted ALOT since last week so hopefully this will be less of an issue next week, put I'd still not expect the snow to be completely gone for a few weeks or so.  Do a expect another few spring storms this year.    I plan on hiking the opposite - Onyx down to Rt 10 - so at least there will be current condition report.

  SB

AsABat <AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net> wrote:
  We've gone through this before both there (fire east of Splinter Cabin)
and near Barrel Spring. In the past they've managed to open them faster
than they first say, but lately it seems to be dragging. I wonder how
legit some of these claims are - trees fall all the time anyway even
without fire (I actually see an average of one a year while hiking -
scary but that's wilderness), and with the storms we had this winter
anything loose probably already fell. I've also heard reasons like
wildlife repopulation and let the land heal, but we don't want the land
under the trail tread to heal so much that brush starts growing ON the
trail. I guess we're just low priority.

AsABat

Mojave
> Forks "dam" starting Sunday. We are aware we will have to walk the
dirt
> road in Holcomb Valley from 2N09 to 3N16 because of the trail closure.
> We had a long talk with Audrey at Discovery Center today about the
> closure. She says the work required is too extreme and dangerous for
> volunteer crews, and she is contracting with pro crews to do it.
> Nonetheless she expects the closure to last TWO YEARS. She says there
> are hundreds of dead burnt trees on the trail or hanging over the
trail
> in the closed section. We will be doing deadfall removal on all the
> trail that we are allowed to walk next week. Lead llama Wicket will
> carry the chain saw. Good boy!
> So has anyone walked this segment of trail in the last week and can
you
> tell me anything about trail conditions, such as snow on trail, water
> issues, or any trail obstacles you can recall? We are aware that the
> area got fresh snow last Saturday, but the ranger says it is melted
out
> anywhere the sun shines. Heck, we got snow at our house last
Saturday.