[pct-l] Protecting Food?

joel01 at ekit.com joel01 at ekit.com
Sat Mar 22 13:43:15 CDT 2008

I may not be a good role model but on my 2007 thru, in So Cal I just
put my food in stuff sacks then put them inside my backpack. I then
slept with the pack under me as a pillow. Never had any problems.

After bear container territory I strung the food up a couple of
times but arriving in the dark most evenings I didn't bother. Again
I put the pack under me and never had problems.

You might meet a lot of mice in Washington or Oregon but mostly they
congregate in the very few shelters/huts along the way. In those
places there are usually pegs to hang your food from.

I was awoken a few times in WA by mice running over my sleeping bag,
but never had them try gnawing through my pack (that happened in
Maine).

Joel (aka Vlad the Impaler)