[pct-l] Regarding tent stakes & food odors (Oregon PCT)

joel01 at ekit.com joel01 at ekit.com
Sat Mar 22 18:58:25 CDT 2008

1. Lots of areas with soft soil, except when you are on lava fields;
which I wouldn't recommend sleeping on (unless you're into that kind
of thing). I never carry a mallet, rocks work fine.

2. If you are only talking about in Oregon, than I wouldn't worry
about an Ursack or bear canister. However, if you are going through
the Sierras there is a stretch in there where proper storage is
legally required.

When it comes to habituated bears it isn't just scent that is going
to draw them in. Human + backpack spells F-O-O-D. Bright foil
packages are worth a chomp into. A habituated bear probably knows
the difference and has a preference between Clif bars and other
energy bars.

Joel (aka Vlad the Impaler)