[pct-l] more questions from the rookies...

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Mon Mar 24 02:35:07 CDT 2008

Amanda,

I hiked from Lake Hughes (Section E) to Kelso Valley Road (Section F) last week.

I had about 2" of snow the first night. Most nights the temperatures
dropped below freezing. Daytime was probably in the 60's and sometimes
very windy. The trail was mostly snow free except for a few miles
around Cottonwood Creek (mi. 604) where the trail was still covered
with several feet of snow in canyons or on the north slopes of
hillsides. It was hard-packed and not difficult to walk on, but does
slow you down a little.

Unless you arrange someone to pick you up I think your only practical
start/end options are Hwy 58, Kelso Valley Rd, and Hwy 178 (Walker
Pass). All the roads going toward Hwy 14 are little used dirt roads
except for Hwy 58 and Hwy 178.

I have twice successfully hitched from Kelso Valley Rd to Bakersfield,
but would only try this on a weekend and expect to be there awhile. I
doubt this road gets much/any traffic on a weekday. Yesterday
(Saturday) I waited there almost 2 hours and 3 cars drove by. The 3rd
car gave me a ride to Hwy 178. I had similar luck in January. Kelso
Valley Road is paved to the NW (toward 178) and dirt to the SE of the
PCT.

I would explore parking in Bakersfield and looking at the Kern transit
bus system:

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/roads/kernregionaltransit.asp

-Halfmile