[pct-l] Supplies not in P.O.'s

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 11:26:16 CDT 2008

Yo, Jeff, how goes it?
Our list on No Cal places is pretty much right on but needs a bit of
refining, hope you don't mind.
 Belden....
 Usually Brenda and Laurie Braaten, both of whom teach, drive out here to
their future retirement home and T.A. station from way back East.  They only
get to spend about a month at their Little Haven.  Better to send to Gen
Del, Belton and request that it get picked up by the Braatens.  Reach them
anytime at LJBratten at aol.com and late June / July at 530.283.9880.  That
way, if you arrive before or after they are in Beldon, you know where your
box is if it's not with them, ie, safely stacked with all the other boxes in
the P.O., not sitting on the Bratten's doorstep, being ravaged by the local
apple tree bear.  The hours kept by the P.O. are strange, but the Post
Mistress is very nice and will arrange to tuck  your box away in a place you
can find it.  Phone number for the P.O. is in Yogi's Handbook.  Don't have
the P.O. mistresses name, wish I did.
Old Station....
Pretty much right on, except that we we only have a small closet that's
mouse-proof.  It holds maybe 6 or 7 boxes at a time.  Better to do as in
Belden...send to the P.O. to be held for us.  Sue and her assistant on
Saturdays Jennie are the very best.  I can leave boxes there til either
Dennie and I or the P.O. Masters hear from you that you're arriving soon, or
until right before the date of your planned arrival (written on your
boxes??) is near.  That way, I usually don't run out of mouse-proof
storage.  Reach us at bobbnweav at gmail.com, 530.335.7463 or P.O. Box 12, Old
Station, CA 96071.  P.O.'s number is 530.335.7292.
Burney Falls  St. Pk....
Even if you don't plan to stay or even pick up a package here, you HAVE to
take a few minutes to see the falls.  They are really unique, read the signs
and realize that this fall's headwaters, so to speak, are only about 1/3rd
of a mile upstream!  Don't know where the water comes from before it emerges
from underground, but it's pretty amazing.  The store will release your box
for $5.00 bail.  Ranger/ Trail Angels Shirley and Jason will help you with
anything they can, including get you a ride into Burney the town, thus
saving hiker folk a somewhat nasty hitch into Burney (the town) from Hwy
299.  Just keep walking til you get to the falls.  For the best trail view,
take the alternate trail from just past where it crosses Hwy 89, just before
entering the St. Pk.
Castella....
Elevator's right...store and P.O. are next to each other and the store's
hours are longer. P.O.'s number should be in Yogi's, and the store's as
well.  The Castle Cargs St. Pk is just up the road and will have your box
delivered to the Park if you ask them.  A couple of Ranger/Trail Angels
there...I've met Brett s couple of times, very sweet and helpful.  They are
trying to widen their accommodations for hikers, laundry?  can't remember,
but you have your own hiker site.
Etna....
Well worth the hitch in...not just for the town's Etna BREWING Co. and old
fashioned soda fountain l which is located in the Scott's Vally Drug
store... but for the town itself and it's people.  Very friendly!!t
The name of the B&B is Alderbrook Manor, tho I suspect that what Elevator
wrote would have gotten a package to the right spot.  Whether it's Dave and
Vicki Henderson, the owners, or their managers, whose names I've forgotten,
and wish I knew, the Hiker Hut or the grounds around the B&B (you can camp
out there) make staying there a lovely experience.  Alderbrook's phone
number is 530.4673917.  UPS or FedEx packages there.
 P.O.'s number is.
 Be aware that you should plan your arrival so that you hit the trail head
on Hwy 3 in the late afternoon/early evening.  Etna is tiny, many folks
commute out in the A.M. to work in Yreka, etc. and are homeward bound in the
afternoon/evening.  They are very used to seeing and picking hikers up for
delivery to their Etna destination.  There are a few other places to crash,
the Motel Etna and   something called the CCTG.    Bob's Ranch House served
me the best calimari steaks I've ever eaten, breakfast was also great....
That's about it,
FireFly