[pct-l] SoBo Thru-ride

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Tue Mar 25 17:43:49 CDT 2008

How many miles per day can you do on a horse?

You will probably have to wait till late July this year for enough of
the snow in WA to melt to make the trails rideable.  Some years the
Sierras stay free of snow thru October, so it's just a matter of
arithmetic, how many miles per day can your ride, and how many days
between say July 15 and say October 30.  I would guess that as long as
your thru the Sierra's by the end of September, you'd have a good shot
at it.  Once you get out of the high Sierra, you still have 700 miles or
so to make it to the Mexican border.

Note that the trail from the border to Rainy Pass could likely be
snow-free by July 15, but the trail in the Glacier Peak area and south
to Snoqualmie Pass could likely need till late July to be passable.  So
you start at the border in mid-July, but you'd want to time your
departure from Stehekin to be around July 22 or 25, something like that.

Greg