[pct-l] Being joined by friends

David Stewart davidalexanderstewart at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 14:17:29 CDT 2008

I have to agree there. I had friends try to join me on the AT and Vermont
Long Trail and they had a miserable time. I had very little LD-Hiking
experience, but I had an idea of what it was like...my friends thought it
was more "camping" and less "hiking", which I guess means to them something
like: comfortable, hanging around alot, nothing too strenuous, etc...

and there are no switchbacks in the east, so even low mileage days can be
very tiring and trying if that one 10-mile day includes one steep
ascent/descent. this simply laid my friends to waste. especially because
most people joined on my 7th or 10th or 14th day and I was already in trail
shape of some kind....

I was somewhat frustrated, as this was "my" hike and they invited themselves
and then couldn't hang.

That may sound arrogant/selfish/etc, and maybe it is.... but, if people do
not have a real solid idea of what they are getting into, both mentally and
physically, then they may be in for a rough time....

Also, I have tried to explain to people that, in my experiences, Mile 1 on
Day 13 is not just mile 1. It is more like mile 167 (or whatever)...there is
a cumulative effect from all the miles....

"20-mile days" (or whatever mileage) do not exist separately from one
another, in my opinion. the days and miles can blend together, mentally and
physically....

I have backed a few people off of my hike this year for the same reason that
I have never been on the PCT and do not what to expect (from) myself....that
is *almost* reason enough to not have to be *responsible* for someone
else....

my 2 cents. if these 2 cents were in euros, they would be worth slightly
more than 3 cents. if they were in british sterling, you would all be
rich....

-moondog