[pct-l] Ice axe needed for late Sierra entry?

Travis Beals trbeals at berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 26 18:43:47 CDT 2008

My wife and I are section-hiking, and are planning to enter the
Sierras (i.e., reach Kennedy Meadows) in early July. We'll also be
moving slowly, at least initially. Since it seems to be an average
snow year (according to postholer.com and the discussion on this
list), are we likely to need ice axes and/or crampons?

We have no experience using ice axes, so we're hoping the answer is
no. Any comments would be much appreciated, especially from anyone who
has experience entering the Sierras 3 - 4 weeks after "Ray Day". It
would also be helpful to know where we're likely to encounter tricky
snow patches given the late entry date.

Finally, any idea what we can expect in terms of mosquitoes and stream
crossings, given that we're going to be a couple weeks behind the
majority of thru-hikers?

Thanks again!

-Travis