[pct-l] Hike Walker Pass

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Thu Mar 27 10:58:51 CDT 2008

The PCT crossing at Canebrake Road is out in the middle of nowhere, about 1/8th mile from Chimney Creek campground. Even during the summer, there is rarely a camp host there. Except for hunting season, it sees few campers but is a popular spot for the homeless crowd. The host I met there in '05 packed a .45 for that very reason; he had had problems with them several years running. Consequently, BLM has a hard time getting volunteers for that job. Probably not a very good place to leave a car.

On the off-chance you are thinking of leaving your car at or near the junction of Canebrake Road and highway 178, be advised Canebrake Road is a very long, exposed, dirt road from thereup to Chimney Creek CG. I've driven it the opposite direction, and it is not something I'd want to walk down; no water, very little shade, and if memory serves, it's about 15 miles.

If you must start at the Canebrake Road crossing,  I would suggest that you park at the Walker Pass campground, have your ride take you around to the trail crossing, and then hike south to your car.

A better (IMO) alternate would be to park at Kennedy Meadows store and just walk to there from Walker Pass (or the reverse).  It adds 23 miles, but will make it easier to get back on the trail northbound at a later date.

Wandering Bob