[pct-l] Section C - Onxz-Rt 10 Trail Report - 1 day Death March

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 15:48:19 CDT 2008

  Connected on this list with Gumby and Bivy and our goal was to complete the 42 miles from Onxz Summit to Big Bear.  This chunk is in my backyard and is the only Section all the way to Stevens Pass  that is missing in my 5 year Section hike.

  Left the house at 8:00 AM and drove to Palm Springs where Bivy earlier on Friday had left his car at the Verbenia Exit..  Switched our cars there and drove his car to Big Bear and started hiking at 10:30.  I was pleasantly surprised that the 06 Mallard fire has spared much of the timber in the first 16 miles.  Crews has been in and our thinning the forest all the way down to Mission Camp.  This first 13 miles was VERY scenic and unusually routed.  About 1/3 of this section was still covered in DEEP snow and we did a lot of post holing.  We did not use crampons even though they were in our packs since the midday sun had softened up the snow,   I'd say that if we receive no more storms the snow will be patchy by time that most of the thruers get through this section next month.  There are probably well over 2 dozen downed trees in this section and I took pictures and will Email them to the Trail Gorillas.

  The burn area started a few miles South of Mission Creek Camp and this is where we met Gumby and Bivy who were headed up hill.  The trail is mostly downhill but we were surprised at how much uphill there was.  BLM had reportedly been in there doing maintenance last year but they did a mediocre job or there work had eroded out.  Most of the time we just meandered down hill, occasionally catching Bivy and Gumby tracks.  There were numerous stacks of ducks but they seemed to be placed for North bounders. We lost the trail often and there was many areas with zero tread and downed trees that resembled the child game of ”pick up sticks.”

  We missed the turnoff of the uphill climb changing from Mission Creek Drainage to White Water drainage but figured out mistake after 1/2 mile or so.  It was really tough navigating with just headlamps.  From this intersection the trail was groomed immaculately on the ridges while the washes were eroded out.  We spent about an hour crossing the whitewater drainage but were able to find the trail.  A few miles south of the Whitewater crossing, we lost the trail when it went through a riparian area and then climbed.  We decided to hike east and hit the known road to the hatchery.  We then road walked down to route 10 and parralled Rt. 10 in a wicked head wind.  We ended OUR death march at 5:30 AM and returned home by 6:30.  We estimate that we added an addition al 8 miles of road wallking for a total of 50 miles in 15 hours.  We only took 1/2 dozen ten minute breaks on our "Death March.".

  Info for the impending herd:  I doubt whether any crampons/ice axes would be needed by the end of next month.  What little snow will be left should be soft midday and so if one uses caution a fall can be avoided.  We stayed very close to the pct so there will be at least four sets of tracks to follow.  I doubt whether the Gorillas will get to the dozens of trees that are downed before the herd arrives.  The dirt roads are not open usually until the first week of June.  These trees even though a pain are manageable but would be very difficult for stock animals.  I'd also NOT recommend doing this stint in ONE day -------- I am tired.

  Gumby and Bivy should get to Onxz sometime late Sunday and THANKS for the organization and the shuttle assistance.   160 miles to FINISH up in NORTHERN Washington -- YEAH.

  SB