[pct-l] [PCT2008] Apache fire caused by careless smoking

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu May 1 20:51:31 CDT 2008

It's probably accidental, but it could also be arson -- I wouldn't rule it
out just yet.  We've hosted alcoholics, drug addicts, schizophrenics,
bi-polar, ADD & ADHD, the truly antisocial and Lord only knows what else;
pyromania isn't too far fetched.

It has never ceased to amaze me how little people coming from other climates
understand the fire danger out here, despite all the talks and warnings.
They may see our catastrophic fires on TV, but to them it's somewhere remote
and they don't connect the dots. So they come out here and light campfires
and smoke cigarettes and are careless with their stoves.

We can only pray for swift containment, that no firefighters are hurt, and
there is no other loss of life or structures.

L-Rod