[pct-l] Possible alternate route

jjonz jjonz at dc.rr.com
Thu May 1 22:10:12 CDT 2008

While I don't know all the particulars, Palm Canyon parallels the PCT to
the
east of the Desert Divde.  There used to be a mountain bike trail down the
canyon which was closed to mountain bikes due to the Desert Protection Act.
The portions of the trail I have been on are near the bottom of the
canyon.
AFAIK, it's still supposed to be open to hikers.  I've only been on
portions of
trail at the top and at the bottom.  Not far from the bottom of Palm Canyon,
two trails skirt the bottom of the mountains - the south Lyken and North
Lyken
trails.  You could bypass most of Palm Springs just to the west on these
trails.
You could hike trails paralleling Hwy 111 across Chino Canyon (where the
tram is)
until you hit the PCT.  Just a thought.  I don't know how Palm Canyon
fits into the
current trail closures.

       Jeff Jones