[pct-l] Rude behavior in Warner Springs

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri May 2 14:30:31 CDT 2008

Good people have been trying to get bad people to behave better for
centuries, and it hasn't solved the problem yet, so I don't think there's
much we can do to change them on the PCT.

I think we have to accept that in any large group of people, you are going
to have a spectrum of attitudes and personalities, including those we find
distasteful and unacceptable. There is no etiquette police on the trail, and
no one will pull their ticket and send them home if they misbehave.  They
may get kicked out of businesses and hostel homes, and they might get in
trouble with law enforcement, but there is absolutely no means to keep them
off the trail due to the lack of enforcement out there.

We have to look at everyone as individuals, and not label entire groups
based on the behavior of just a few. Those few should be dealt with by those
they offend, on the spot, and the consequences they receive for their
infraction should be commensurate with the wrong doing.  We can only hope
that the consequences don't permanently alter things for everyone else.

L-Rod