[pct-l] Rude behavior in Warner Springs

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri May 2 15:07:09 CDT 2008

Gossip and hearsay are not nice things.  We need to be careful that we’re
not creating some type of black list. I’ve shared that I will only warn
other trail angels if or when someone is truly over the top with their
behavior.  I’m not going to tattle and tell who minded their manners and who
didn’t.  I like to form my own opinions about people based on how they treat
me, and I always hope they will do the same with regard to me.  I try to
give people the benefit of the doubt wherever possible.

As to fixing hiker behavior, I am not their mother, nor do I want to be.  I
am not their boss.  I don’t want to be some kind of trail behavior
supervisor.  My level of tolerance for people may not be the same as yours,
and yours not the same as mine.  What bugs you might not bug me.  I’ll go
back to what I said before . . . offenders need to be dealt with by the
people they offend.  It’s not up to some sort of self-appointed group of us
to play monitor, judge, and jury.

I really believe, and I don’t mean to offend, that if you’re afraid to take
in some of the less wonderful people out there on the trail, perhaps it’s
unwise to open your home at all.  Because as sure as the sun will shine
tomorrow, there will be bad apples in what ever bunch you take in.  It’s all
about the big picture.

L-Rod

   _____