[pct-l] Rude behavior in Warner Springs

Postholer public at postholer.com
Fri May 2 15:09:13 CDT 2008

It's ok to feed the bears.

If I throw some food to a bear it's ok. I enjoy it and the bear gets an easy
meal. The bear doesn't really become dependent on me, it can choose to go
forage in the back country. A bear doesn't have expectations this treat will
exist in the future, does it?

Feeding the bears also allows me to show my compassion. I go to the expense
and energy to 'help' the bears. Why would you deny me my right to exercise
my comapassion? Why would you shun my kindness?

If a bear trashes a Honda because it's not getting the food it has come to
expect from me, that's ok. We take the good with the bad. The wilderness is
comprised of many different bears......

-postholer

I certainly hope that Iron Chief was kidding when he spoke about going
around punching holes in water cashes.  Yes, there are ever more hikers on
the trail.  Yes, it is getting easier for people to make the hike.  But I
wonder just how much of a bad thing this is.  After all a National Scenic
Trail is set aside for the people to enjoy.  This begs the question, which
people?  Shall it only be open to the elite, super fit and prepared
uber-hikers, or shall it be open to all the people?  Our national parks are
open to all as are our national monuments.  People are not required to
backpack into Yosemite. We do, but that's just the way we are.

  I understand that the pride of accomplishment is deteriorated a little bit
when someone completes the hike that you struggled, trained and planed for
without matching your efforts.  But come on now.  With that logic, the
freeways should never have been built because a less-than-hearty stock of
modern-day pioneers will come west in air-conditioned comfort and stop at
hotels along the way.  If they can't do it in a covered wagon, they
shouldn't come!

  In hiking ones own hike, some will be more of a wilderness survivor than
others.  Okay, so be it.  I am not diminished one bit by someone having an
easier time than I on the trail, getting through school, seeking fame and
fortune, etc.  We can all take pride in what we have done without comparing
ourselves to others.  There is room for all here and no room for
viciousness, divisiveness or elitism.

  Well, that is my feeling anyway.  I know that there are those who will
disagree with me, and that's okay.  That after is the point, difference and
the room to express it.

  Shepherd