[pct-l] Rude behavior in Warner Springs End of April 2008

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Fri May 2 15:13:17 CDT 2008

We trail angels that are further north, like Jerry and myself, would like to
know how many hikers are headed our way and what we might expect (good or
bad) from those who appear at our door. All hikers should be courteous to
all businesses and private homes they visit on the trail.  When I hear of
rudeness coming from hikers I have a hard time understanding their behavior.
I was raised to respect those I come in contact with. And again, the
Internet is faster that any hot shot hiker out there.  The whole west coast
will be aware of your name and your past behavior long before you hit the
next resupply stop. And those who travel with you will be guilty by
association. That's just life.....like it or not. If you burn your bridges
as you do your hike, it is only pissing off businesses and they will look at
all the hikers behind you as a group of people they DON'T want to deal with.
Doors have been closed to PCT hikers in the recent past. Post offices can
refuse to hold hiker boxes. If you're a hiker travelling with a single or
group of rude PCTers.....you need to police yourself. The businesses,
private homes and on trail Magic folks will decide it's not worth dealing
with you. Don't let the bad behavior of one or two impact the rest of the
PCT family.

PCT MOM