[pct-l] Let it go; aka hiker bashing; aka rude behavior

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Fri May 2 18:24:37 CDT 2008

jomike wrote:

Is the problem not one of you and so many other's posts I've read today feel they know what's best; their way is the right way; critiquing people via hearsay; assigning names to people you've yet to meet-are now saying: I've hiked the pct my way, let's start putting pressure on other hikers to do it my way, i.e., not in my back yard. Besides careless, rude, selfish are all value judgments. I do agree with Donna on one thing, it is the INDIVIDUAL's job to deal with an offensive situation, at that time. And, I believe strongly that maintaining and/or sharing of ANY list is highly inappropriate. That is elitism to the hilt. Deal with the person and move on.

I understand what you're saying, but this isn't just about stylistic stuff.  This is about stuff that has a real and lasting impact on the trail and on those people who will hike it in the future.

We don't know yet whether or not it was a PCT thru-hiker who started the Apache Peak fire.  We do know other thru-hikers in years past *have* started fires by doing stupid things.  Should I just shrug and say, "Oh well, if people choose to burn their TP, or use alcohol stoves in high winds, or be careless with their smoking, hey, that's just the way they hike.  That's a value judgment.  It's none of my business because I wasn't there."?

I think it *is* my business - I've section-hiked a fair portion of the PCT already and I'm working on section-hiking the rest of it.  Someday I'm going to thru-hike the whole thing.  I've done trail maintenance.  I've been a trail-angel.  I care very much about people burning it down or abusing it in other ways.  Should I not be bothered if somebody's rude behavior potentially closes access to town services that I may need someday?

But what can I do?  Almost nothing, really.  Just sit around on the PCT-L and bitch about rude, careless people.  Yeah, I know, that's not very helpful, and has dangers of its own.  Bleh.  I need to go hiking.

Eric