[pct-l] impending thru hike, water caches? I'm a partially wild human

David Huck david.huck at gmail.com
Sun May 4 03:18:55 CDT 2008

Hi Ya'll,
It's been a long time since I last posted here, and now the thru hike
is less than a week away. Hooray! WoooHoooo! Minutiae have been mostly
eliminated from my life, with the conclusion of my (limited) food drop
packing. I'm also probably in worse shape now than I was in February,
which figures after 2 months of traveling and eating heartily with
friends. But now to the substance of this post. I've been following
the posting about not feeding the humans with some interest. I might
be someone who wishes the west remained open only to those who could
cross the mountain sans air conditioning and gasoline (A gallon of
gas, depending on how you do the calculations, is about two weeks
worth of hard human labor in terms of embodied energy), and I'd like
to think I enjoy deprivation in the name of wildness. And I'm a car
driving contradiction from time to time. Life's great.

So, has anyone recently done some or all of the pre-sierra section
without relying on caches?
Independent of that answer, I think I'd like to do my best to avoid
using them and report back. I probably am not willing to take a zero,
but I'm certainly willing to go out of my way to find water. I hope to
one day be capable of traveling overland throughout much of N. America
without need for caches, or other contrivances, this would be an
obvious place to start.

Look forward into stumbling across a few of you guys,

David " " Huck