[pct-l] The KO and Leave No Trace - NOT

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Mon May 5 01:15:48 CDT 2008

tortoise, I read your note with interest.

Thanks for your efforts in cleanup at the KO, it really makes a difference.

Last year at the KO, I made a similar comment about there being no
recycling at all, and a month ago, I got a call asking me if I'd like to
coordinate the effort this year.  I said yes.

So what you saw was the result of my efforts, along with the work of a
number of other volunteers, most especially Sam..... the first attempt to
do this, large scale.

While I originally thought of separating out the different types, the guys
who are local who picked up and transported the stuff, said that they
didn't care if it was separated, so we did not.

By my guesstimate, I think we recycled about 20 cubic yards of material.
That's a lot of stuff.  Last year, all the dumpsters were overflowing.
This year, only one was full, most were not 1/2 full.

While it is tempting to think in terms of perfect, few things in life are.
 This represents real progress, and my guess is that we can do a lot
better.

Perhaps you will attend next year, and perhaps you might be willing to
give me a hand if I end up doing this task again, which is currently my
inclination.  Hauling trash around, after spending the day on Friday doing
trailwork on the PCT, made for sound sleeping.

Thanks again for your thought provoking post.

Ken