[pct-l] road walk into Idylwild

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Tue May 6 08:56:41 CDT 2008

I really appreciate Halfmile putting up an alternate route into
Idylwild; I can't seem to download this to my smartphone, but maybe
there's internet access here (in Iduylwild) where I could print it out
(am I dreaming?).

When I hitched into Idylwild yesterday afternoon I paid some attention
to the road shoulder's, and I saw a couple of thru's hiking the road.
I talked to them later and I suggest that road walking the 18 miles or
whatever exact distance along the highway is fairly dangerous --- not
something I would care to do.  Their comment was that the majority
wasn't too bad but the last 5 or so miles were ptetty hairy.

To put it in pespective, I'd rather take my chances with bears,
rattlesnakes, snowy passes, etc.   But that's just me, of course,
YMMV.

I wish there were a better way to get info out to folks on the trail
about this option; when I was in Warner Springs I could have easily
printed out Halfmile's alternate, but at that point no one understood
the situation as well.

    Brian Lewis (now "Gadget")