[pct-l] Cutting trees near Kennedy Meadows (s) end of May

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Wed May 7 01:55:57 CDT 2008

May 30, 31, June 1   F-Sunday   Arrive Fri nite.

This is a trip to clear downed trees on a Forest Service trail in the
Southern Sierra.  We will work out of a carcamp, so there will be no
backpacking involved.  Each day, we will walk into the forest, carrying
the tools to do the work.

The tree cutting will be done using old-fashioned 2-person crosscut saws,
that work with "sweat equity".  Most people who experience this activity
love it!  It is good, hard work, that most find quite satisfying.  Our
emphasis is on safety and fun.

The Forest Service provides all tools and safety gear, and they are paying
for the food, and we will have the use of the nice campgrounds at the
trailhead.

The location is the Blackrock Trail, located about 15 miles past Kennedy
Meadows, on the Eastern Sierra, about 3 hours from LA.  This time of year
there will be few people around.

This has the added advantage of staging near to Kennedy Meadows, with the
opportunity to stop in and see the thru hikers gathering at the store!

I am leading this trip, so if you are interested in coming, please email me.