[pct-l] Tejon Ranch route

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 11 15:43:59 CDT 2008

On the current guidebook route, you can do all
the aqueduct walking in half a day.
To gain a little perspective, take a look sometime at
the 1974 edition of the guidebook.   From Mt Gleason
to Sequoia, it's almost all different.   For
the section in question:

You now have a choice between two undesirable routes.
Farther north, the permanent and temporary PCT routes
were routed by the Forest Service to run northeast
along the crest of the Tehachapis.
Armed guards of the giant
Tejon Ranch will make sure you don't.   If you wish to
parallel these routes, you can do so by following
roads northeast through Antelope Valley and the
western Mojave Desert to the town of Mojave.   If you
have had trouble on the last dry stretch, then you
should
not attempt our revised temporary route with its
46-mile
hot, dry, shadeless, forced march through the desert.
Our recommended alternate route is to turn right
(northeast) and follow the paved San Francisquito
Canyon Road down into Leona Valley to Elizabeth Lake
Road...[and eventually to Willow Springs and on to
Mojave]

The other revised temporary PCT route, 41 miles longer
than than its alternate, crosses San Francisquito
Canyon Road and continues west up the Leona Divide
Fire Road... then descends to the small community of
Lake Hughes... [and eventually almost to Quail Lake
before heading back east along 138]