[pct-l] FW: Great News for the PCT

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sun May 11 22:55:40 CDT 2008

> ...i'm wondering why the new route doesn't instead head over to quail lake,
> and ascend to the crest just nw of quail lake...

North and East of Quail Lake is the proposed development of the 'city' of Centennial...
Where your trace first gets to the crest, it might be in or near the Tejon Mountain Village development area...
Further Northeast on the crest is the National Cement limestone mining lease - change your Google Map from 'terrain' to 'satellite' view and you can see your trace go through the northern portion of the mining operation...

No, the proposed route isn't 'perfect', compromises had to be made (but the environmental, ecology, biology groups got much more than if the 'battle' had gone through the courts, IMHO)...  Future PCTers will be able to experience a very unique and biologically diverse area along that portion of the crest (and still be able to brag a little about having to go through a portion of the Mojave, too!)...  I look forward to the day we can hike that 'new' stretch of PCT...

Happy trails!!!
Jim