[pct-l] Tehachapi Mountains PCT Route

Will M jalan04 at gmail.com
Mon May 12 21:43:14 CDT 2008

Sadly, I'm a little bit worried about the hiker impact on this area.  During
my recent section hike of sections B, C and part of D, it  seemed not a day
went by that I didnt see serious fire damage caused, I'm guessing, by
careless PCT hikers.  Then there was the news of the fires near Idyllwild
which were also apparently caused by PCT hikers.  I hate to be such a downer
because I love hiking and I've enjoyed hiking on the PCT and I think the
trail community is awesome but I really have started to develop some serious
qualms about the impact that PCT hikers are having on the enviroment.  I'm
especially worried about this new section because it is so ecologically
sensitive being the home of California condors.

So how is the PCTA going to ensure the safety of this fragile area given the
poor history hikers have in caring for trail areas? I know that lots of
hikers give back and trail crews do great work taking care of the trail
.  Its just that in my mind the impact of these fires just dwarfs all of
these efforts. I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I really think the trail
community needs to do some serious reflection on this issue.  Do we deserve
this prized stretch of land or would it be better to just make it a nature
sanctuary?

Jalan Jalan