[pct-l] Pct-l - Unassited PCT Record

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Tue May 13 04:57:38 CDT 2008

Joe writes: I just talked to Scott Williamson and we both have decided upon the date of our departure. On June 8th at 12 noon we will depart from Campo in attempt to break the unassisted record of 79 days, 21 hours, and 42 minutes.  It is in our both agreement to make this public.
Switchback replies: That is very interesting and sounds like a challenge.  Unsupported JMT Reinhold and I have decided to give you guys a head start.  Then on June 15 (Ray Day) we will start from Campo to beat you to the Canadian border.  We plan to take a lot of zero's too.  In fact we might be there when you depart on June 8th (Sunday) to wish you well.

There will be a lot of pressure on you knowing that we are hot on your heels.  You will feel us breathing down your necks and hear our foot steps getting ever closer.  This will cause you to sweat a lot more, so carry extra water.  I think up in Washington, we will plan to be about half a day ahead of you.  This is so we can toy with your minds --- we will be just out of reach.  Our footprints will be fresh and offer the temptation of catching up.  By the way, you are going to get very tired of looking at our footprints on the trail.

At every resupply stop, they will be out of the best goodies, since we will have been there ahead of you.  This is too cool and sounds like fun.

Your pals, Switchback and Unsupported JMT