[pct-l] N. Oregon Snow

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Thu May 15 21:21:25 CDT 2008

Go to the map at this link:

http://www.or.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/maps/oregon_sitemap.html

Click on the snotel sites along the spine of the Cascades, then click on the
links for the current snow depth tables and the graphs to see how deep the
snow is now and how it relates to the 30 year average. I suggest
specifically from south to north:

Cascade Summit (Highway 58 near Odell Lake)
Irish Taylor
McKenzie Pass
Hogg Pass (near Santiam Pass)
(note big gap through Jefferson Wilderness)
Clackamas Lake
Clear Lake
Mt. Hood
Blazed Alder

On the graphs, note where the 30 year average SWE (snow water equivalent --
light blue line) reaches zero.  That would give you some idea when to expect
bare ground at the snotel site.  PLEASE NOTE: The snotel sites are not
positioned at the highest elevations near the trail or necessarily where the
snow will be the deepest.

The snow is abnormally deep, the melt is abnormally late (although it has
now obviously begun) and the farther north you go the more abnormal it
becomes.  In a normal year, I would expect troublesome snow in the Three
Sisters Wilderness at the end of June.  This year it should be loads-o-fun.

Snow shoes maybe?