[pct-l] Rattled

Trail90 pct-l at mattmaxon.com
Fri May 16 08:32:14 CDT 2008

For every one you see or hear you'll have walked by or nearly stepped on
hundreds

Keep your distance when you see one, chances are small you'll be
bitten....Unless of course you get in their face ;-), or F&^* with them.

If you do get bitten which is not likely...DON"T panic...There is a good
chance you have not been envenomated, wait a bit a see what happens...
Snake bite kits etc...are a waste of time and money and in fact do more
harm than good

The following is general in nature oriented more toward front country
with easy access to medical facilities. Backcountry / Wilderness
procedures  are  different.
---DISCLAIMER---
I am not a Medical Doctor or Licensed to practice medicine this is from
one person to another and is an opinion you need to decide what you
would do.

BUT if I or a family member was in the backcountry or wilderness and
bitten. I would wait 15-20 minuets before deciding to evacuate or seek
medical attention for that matter, to see if signs I was envenomated
develop.

I would also try to determine if it was in fact a Rattlesnake...Gopher
snakes look a lot like a rattler...harmless to humans...Not to Gophers
though!

http://picasaweb.google.com/mattmaxon91040/2008_04_11/photo#5188120321030530482

 From http://www.envenomated.com

As many as 50% of bites by rattlesnakes are 'dry bites' where no venom
is injected. Many folk remedies for snakebite came about because no
venom was injected to begin with.

Symptoms include, but are not limited to pain, severe swelling,
bruising, blistering, headache, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain,
diarrhea, dizziness, collapse or convulsions, Yellow vision;
paraesthesia/numbness of digits, metallic taste in mouth,
fasciculations, and/or death.

Snake Envenomations

1. I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice.
2. This is a constantly evolving article. Do not consider it as being
complete or comprehensive
According to the Centers For Disease Control, in case of a snakebite;

Do

* Do remain calm - Remember that there is an excellent chance for
survival, and in most cases there is plenty of time.

* Do suck and squeeze - as much venom as possible directly from the
wound. Venom is protein and can be taken orally with no ill effects.

* Do remove jewelry - Swelling can progress rapidly, so rings, watches
and bracelets can be a real problem.

* Do mark the time - The progress of symptoms (swelling) is the most
obvious indicator of the amount of envenomation.

* Do keep the stricken limb below the heart.

* Do get to a hospital as quickly as possible - Anti-venom serum is the
only sure cure for envenomation, and because some people are allergic to
horse serum it should only be given in a fully equipped medical facility.

* In case of a Coral bite, do pull the snake off immediately - Corals'
fangs are relatively small, and they have to work at getting venom into
the wound. Therefore, the faster the snake is removed the less venom is
injected.

* Do attempt to identify the offending snake - Positive identification
in the form of a dead snake is helpful, if convenient, but no time or
safety should be wasted since the symptoms will give medical personnel
an accurate diagnosis.

* Do get a tetanus shot.

Don't

* Don't cut the wound - This almost always causes more damage than it's
worth.

* Don't use a tourniquet - This isolates the venom in a small area and
causes the digestive enzymes in the venom to concentrate the damage.

* Don't use alcohol orally - it speeds the heart and blood flow and
reduces the body's counter-acting ability.

* Don't use ice - Freezing the stricken limb has been found to be a
major factor leading to amputation.

Source: Centers For Disease Control, http://www.cdc.gov

Trail90