[pct-l] Truckee PCT access

Bill Person bill at billperson.org
Fri May 16 13:05:09 CDT 2008

Paul,

Greetings from Pooh Corner.

When are you arriving in Reno?  We're likely a ride from Reno and a sure
ride to the  trail from Truckee.  We're probably also good for supper and
overnight if you want an early morning start.

You get two choices if you go on your own to the trailhead.

(1) There are rest areas on I-80 on the summit. There are short trails from
either rest area to the PCT which is a quarter mile east of the rest areas.

(2) The main  drag through Truckee is Donner Pass Rd.  If you bus or shuttle
to Truckee, you will get off on Donner Pass Rd.  About ten miles west of the
bus station the PCT crosses Donner Pass Rd at the summit, just west of the
Sugar Bowl Academy and  2/10 mi east of the Sugar Bowl and Donner Ski Ranch
ski areas. Walk south on the dirt road about a quarter mi and the southbound
trailhead is on your left.  The northbound trail climbs northeast perhaps a
tenth of a mile west of the pass.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to call 530-587-4485 (home) or 530-277-4485
(cell) with any questions.  I'm gone on a PCT trail maintenance trip from
May 17-May 23 but my wife Molly should be around.

Happy trails,
Pooh