[pct-l] which backpack??

frankgilliland at comcast.net frankgilliland at comcast.net
Wed May 21 12:34:23 CDT 2008

I'm looking at the following:  Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus; ULA Circuit;
ULA Catalyst; Six Moons Starlite; Six Moons Comet; and Six Moons Traveler.
 From the web sites I find it difficult to compare the advantages and
disadvantages of one to the rest. Your experience and thought welcome.

The above packs are all really great packs used by many hikers.  The
Craftsmen who are making these great packs are doing a great thing for the
light weight back-packing community.  Picking a pack without the chance to
try it on, walk around with it on and trying different loads is a gamble I
do not take.  Up-dating equipment is always a good idea.  The new stuff
today is a huge improvement from that of decades ago.

Now, having said this, I should note that when I worked for the Forest
Service (many years ago) I used an external framed  Kelty pack that I could
strap on a chainsaw, fuel, and all my other gear, sometimes weighing 70
pounds.  I could not imagine using my current pack (internal framed) back
then.  But today I keep my one week load to about 20 lbs now.

I just recently helped my wife find a pack.  We spent 2 hours trying on
packs.  None fit right.  I then found in the day pack section a slightly
smaller pack that fit her just right.  This pack took under one minute to
adjust to her frame.

Packs are one of those things that either fit or don't.  (kind of like
shoes)  I can't imagine walking one mile let alone 100 or 1,000 miles with a
pack that did not fit right.  I am a believer that a pack should have some
sort of internal frame as well.  But, many hikers use with great success
frameless packs.  Maybe someday I will find a frameless pack that fits me
with a 20 lb load, but as of yet, none work for me.

I know that my current pack fits me right because more than once I have
taken a break or chatted with some one on trail for several minutes before I
realized that I still had my pack on.  At times, it even felt weird to take
the pack off....

Good luck on your search for new gear. Try on several before making a
choice.

StarMan