[pct-l] hanging food vs. bear canisters

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Fri May 23 19:03:57 CDT 2008

I've done both. The cannister is more convenient (no hanging or
getting down, easily accessible) and surer protection, but the price
is the weight of the cannister. If you read the typical Forest
Service instructions for hanging, the ideal branch is nearly
impossible to find. However, approximations seem to work in most
places. I think the choice depends upon you. If you are moving fast
and/or walking all the daylight hours you probably don't want to mess
with the time and effort for finding an appropriate branch, getting
the rope up and hanging the food, even though you will quickly become
very proficient. If you are very weight conscious, you probably won't
carry the cannister. There will probably be dozens of responses with
variations on this and suggestions on how do go with neither (which I
disagree with in many locations), but I think I've touched the core
of the issue and you need to HYOH.

Pieces