[pct-l] TEHACHAPI PASS PARKING WARNING

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Sat May 24 13:38:27 CDT 2008

Section E ends and Section F starts in Tehachapi Pass at the Cameron
Road exit from Highway 58. It is a natural place to leave a car at
the beginning or end of a section hike. There is a large level
gravel/dirt area between Cameron Road and the railroad tracks. There
are two gravel/dirt entrances from Cameron Road to this area. There
are old railroad track pieces on the railroad track side of the area
paralleling the real railroad tracks. These appear to provide a
border for a parking area. If you don't like having your car towed,
DO NOT PARK HERE.

Here is how it worked in our case:
         We left a car in that area for transportation when we
finished our hike. Within an hour or two, someone filed a "complaint"
with the California Highway Patrol (CHP). The CHP came out the next
day, looked the situation over, tagged the car, and authorized a
towing company to remove the "abandoned" car 72 hours after the time
of the initial complaint. At that time (within an hour or two) the
towing company towed the car. Retrieval of the car meant paying a
$140 towing fee.
         Possible complications if you park there:
                 1. If the car is kept longer, there is also a daily
storage fee.
                 2. The car must be retrieved by the registered
owner. (A spouse does not qualify.) The CHP can negotiate or order
(It is not clear which.) release of the car once they receive a fax
of a power of attorney from the registered owner.
                 3. The towing company yard has a sign that lists
hours as: M-F 9-5, Sat, Sun by appointment. There is also a fee for
weekend release of the car.
YOU DO NOT WANT TO PARK HERE.

Questions raised by this incident:
         1. Who posted the "complaint?"
         2. Would prior notification of the CHP of intent, including
pick-up date, result in avoidance of these events? Would a note on
the dashboard have changed the situation, other than encouraging thieves?
         3. Would the situation be any different in the small area
north of Highway 58?
         4. Are the same rules applicable, if someone wants to
enforce things this way, in other trailhead areas with unsigned
apparent parking areas?
         5. What about signed areas? After all, similar rules do
apply on city streets and nothing was said about this being private
property. (I do not know whether it is private or public land.)
         6. Does anyone know of a nearby area where cars can be left
without this unpleasantness?
If anyone knows the answers to any of these questions, I would
appreciate hearing from you. However, I am not trying to encourage
speculation about what the rules might or should be. I have
speculated a lot the last few days, and there are better uses for this forum.

Pieces