[pct-l] weather from the trail

Diane Soini diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat May 24 18:43:01 CDT 2008

I've been stuck in Wrightwood because of the weather. Tonight will be
my third night here. I hiked a small section of PCT from Inspiration
Point to Vincent Gap. The snow is deep, slushy and wet. I do not want
to climb to 9000 ft.

I do not foresee the snow melting any time soon because the
temperatures at elevation are very cold and the snow is pretty thick.
I plan to head out tomorrow despite the snow and probably skip the
trail completely and stay on Highway 2 which is slightly lower in
elevation than the trail. One thing I have noticed is that all the
campgrounds around here seem to be in cold, windy places and for this
wimpy Santa Barbara girl, cold, wet and snow are no fun. Especially
since I have mesh shoes and no rain gear to speak of.

I have been staying with a local family. Last night they had 13 hikers
staying with them, the most ever for them. All but 4 left today to
hike in the snow anyway. It's the only way to get out of the snow.
Let's hope there's no more precipitation so we can get out and back to
the nice warm desert!

Happy Memorial Day. Welcome to summer.