[pct-l] TEHACHAPI PASS PARKING WARNING

Trail90 pct-l at mattmaxon.com
Sun May 25 10:29:05 CDT 2008

Phil Baily wrote:
> There is a large level
> gravel/dirt area between Cameron Road and the railroad tracks. There
> are two gravel/dirt entrances from Cameron Road to this area. There
> are old railroad track pieces on the railroad track side of the area
> paralleling the real railroad tracks. These appear to provide a
> border for a parking area. If you don't like having your car towed,
> DO NOT PARK HERE.

if you copy and paste the xml below it will show the area you are
describing? (google earth)

It would seem to me to be UPRR property

I'd say UPRR security would be the ones to file a complaint or the CHP
has standing permission to cite and tow vehicles parked there

I'm sorry for your troubles and would suggest you write the CHP and ask
them to forward a letter explaining why you parked there and asking it
be posted no parking - private property yada...yada...yada...

Maybe a "PCT hiker" note on the window would give'em a clue but it's
difficult or a phone # for contacting a spouse.

On the legal end it seems to me the CHP made no attempt to contact the RO

They can get the RO address and phone from the license number

I had parked my motorcycle at Fenner Camp at the locked gate going up to
Vincent Gulch when Hiking the High Desert Trail.

Fenner Camp which is a CDF work Camp using state prison inmates
complained and contacted  my home phone, my wife contacted me by cell
phone and I moved the vehicle before it was towed.

Seems to me investigation of the law may yield some results in court to
recover your expenses, but it is Kern County and they are pretty tight
around there... The Judge is probably the Dad, Brother, Cousin of the cop.

Trail90

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">
<Document>
    <name>KmlFile</name>
    <Style id="sn_parking_lot">
        <IconStyle>
            <color>ccffffff</color>
            <scale>1.2</scale>
            <Icon>

<href>http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/shapes/parking_lot.png</href>
            </Icon>
            <hotSpot x="0.5" y="0" xunits="fraction" yunits="fraction"/>
        </IconStyle>
        <ListStyle>
        </ListStyle>
    </Style>
    <StyleMap id="msn_parking_lot">
        <Pair>
            <key>normal</key>
            <styleUrl>#sn_parking_lot</styleUrl>
        </Pair>
        <Pair>
            <key>highlight</key>
            <styleUrl>#sh_parking_lot</styleUrl>
        </Pair>
    </StyleMap>
    <Style id="sh_parking_lot">
        <IconStyle>
            <color>ccffffff</color>
            <scale>1.4</scale>
            <Icon>

<href>http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/shapes/parking_lot.png</href>
            </Icon>
            <hotSpot x="0.5" y="0" xunits="fraction" yunits="fraction"/>
        </IconStyle>
        <ListStyle>
        </ListStyle>
    </Style>
    <Placemark>
        <name>Area described </name>
        <description>Is the the area you where parked?

This would be Union Pacific Railroad property IMO</description>
        <LookAt>
            <longitude>-118.2939976544393</longitude>
            <latitude>35.09853706796218</latitude>
            <altitude>0</altitude>
            <range>426.6482541354415</range>
            <tilt>0</tilt>
            <heading>-15.15488861860192</heading>
            <altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode>
        </LookAt>
        <styleUrl>#msn_parking_lot</styleUrl>
        <Point>

<coordinates>-118.2940205815603,35.09824569407722,0</coordinates>
        </Point>
    </Placemark>
</Document>
</kml>