[pct-l] Snow in May, and Preparation

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Tue May 27 23:38:17 CDT 2008

>From our observations, it's a lack of personal and practical on-trail
experience.

It seems many have the desire but lack the training of previous journeys.
Out of a romantic zeal to attain something from the hike, they research and
assume and rarely test themselves and their food/gear in the identical
conditions that lie ahead.

Are the guide books telling aspiring hikers what these conditions can be?
Are future hikers reading the Journals of those who have gone before to hear
what they went through?
Do hikers really know that Preparation includes On-Trail Testing and
Training     if you want to be safe, successful, and have fun along the way?
        Take a self-arrest course, go snow-camping for a week and cover 100
            miles, spend a week in a rain forest and really see what it
takes to hike
            day in and day out in the rain, etc..
The most valuable tool for your success is between your ears, what you know
and how to put it to good, practical use where you're going.

No matter how much we preach it, preparation, planning, training, testing,
the lemmings just keep on coming.

Mtnned