[pct-l] water/trail conditions C13-C14

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 28 09:38:56 CDT 2008

I chipped away at the missing section C on my ten year
plan yesterday.

I covered from the Deep Creek trailhead at the Mojave
Dam to the "jeep road" to "Summit Valley Country
Store"
neither of which is really there any more.

The trail is in good condition except for the fast
growing brush around the river/creek at the dam, and
some foliage near the last water mentioned below.
A north(west) bounded hiker would have a hard time
finding the "logs" across Deep Creek except for an
arrow sign lying on the ground made of sticks.

There is something new that I have not seen mentioned:
a signed trail junction 3.4 miles west of Hwy 173
pointing to the new Mojave Forks Regional Park
campground
3/4 mile away.

http://www.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/parks/mojave_river_forks.htm

Notice HOT SHOWERS!    I didn't stay there.

As for water, there is a large cache just west of
Hwy 173 but it's not needed yet.    I met a section
hiker who had just loaded up with 8 liters thinking he
needed that to get to Silverwood Park.

Instead there are five running sources of natural
water in the next six miles or so:

A creek
A seep across the trail
A small pipe running right next to the trail - you
 can hear it and you notice a large black tube next
 to the trail that marks the spot
Grass Valley Creek
A seep across the trail

I liked the looks of the pipe water best, but as a
day hiker I didn't need it.

Photos will be available in a day or two at
http://pcnst.oakapple.net/recent

David Hough