[pct-l] rain gear

Trail90 pct-l at mattmaxon.com
Wed May 28 09:45:33 CDT 2008

Joel Ramey wrote:
> Okay, so I've seen a little bit of this back and forth about rain gear
> and SoCal.
>
> Am I completely stupid for thinking that an emergency poncho and my
> marmot driclime to be enough for the weather?
>
> -Taildragger

Taildragger

Having hiked a fair bit in the rain here in SoCal and New England...I
have concluded this is the "best" setup...I am sure others will
vehemently disagree but it works for me.

Umbrella - golf or other large size
Poncho with a hood
REI goretex jacket
Rain pants
Seal skin socks

This seems to work well for me even in the most severe conditions  your
results  may vary.

But an emergency poncho I have found from experience to be slightly
better than nothing  and I can't emphasize  "slightly"  enough.

If you think your setup is good try it out , once  you are out on the
trail  miles from nowhere  it will be tough to change your mind.

Plenty of people have under estimated the SoCal mountains and deserts
and have paid a hefty  price.

Deserts are a places of extremes, extreme heat, extreme cold, not much
in between Woe to the unprepared.

"Mad dogs and English men" come to mind  when I see people hiking in the
heat of the day.

Trail90