[pct-l] Fw: Snow in May

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Wed May 28 13:54:36 CDT 2008

We had a kid show up here in Skykomish last September. He had taken the bus
here to meet up with another hiker. They were planning on hiking together
from Skykomish to Manning Park. The kid showed up with a light nylon jacket,
shirt, shorts, wrong sleeping bag, running shoes and a knife. He was a self
educated survivalist. He felt he knew enough(nothing) about living off the
land and sleeping in trees, catching chipmunks and starting a fire with two
sticks. He was dead serious about doing it this way. By the time he left
with Pigmy we had him all supplied. He argued the whole time about being a
trained (in his mind) survivalist. Some hikers think they know it all by the
time they get a couple hundred miles under their belt. You can only advise.
You are looked at as being full of hot air if you have not actually hiked
the trail. If it had not been for Pigmy making the kid do what was right the
kid would have starved and froze to death. If you are on your first hike you
better listen to those who have gone before you. They know first hand what
they are doing......you have only read books.

PCT MOM