[pct-l] Snow in May, and Preparation / weather from the trail / Entitlement??

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Wed May 28 23:02:35 CDT 2008

A few thoughts on this:

First this is reminiscent of prior years discussion of trail angels and
water caches and how much help the thru hikers receive.

I side with Jim and some others:  Thru hiking the PCT (or any long hike) is
not the place or the way to go on your first backpack. Or even close to it.
Still, some of the newbies do luck out; conditions are gentle enough and
there is enough water at the caches for them to refill. Maybe also they
think that this hike is something so special or sacred or whatever that
others should help them on their way; sorta like pilgrims receiving help
from people along the way because the helpers feel some sort of obligation.

Next thought.  Are children these days being raised in too safe and too
protected conditions so that they don't learn that there are risks and
dangers and don't learn enough to look before they leap? Do we watch too
much extreme sport exploits on TV and think that anyone, even me with the
right gear. While these shows don't show the training and risks and
casualties from such exploits.

  Is there too much emphasis on extreme adventures and articles in
magazines extolling these adventures with very little on the risks and
dangers and the skills and experience to do same.  I get the impression
that there is in reading Backpacker magazine. Also the mag seems to
emphasize that with all the latest gadgets and equipment, one doesn't need
a lot of skills.

Final thought for this missive:  How many of us try something risky and
luck out so we "learn" that we can do it? We have good weather and get
overconfident that we can do it in any weather. Whether its drinking and
driving; hiking without adequate gear and maps; or whatever.

  I remember hiking with a friend one day in an East BAy Regional Park.  We
had just the park brochure.  Well the weather turn foggy and the trail
signs weren't helpful and we were lost in the fog. We didn't even have a
compass. However we lucked out. We went to a radio transmitting site on top
of the hill and were able to get oriented by the workers there that day
(they told us where we  were on our map; and we found our way back. I
immediately bought a compass which stays in my day pack. But I still go out
hiking alone without enough survival gear should I be injured and can't get
back to the trailhead.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>