[pct-l] the fuss about prepardness

Jeff jolson at olc.edu
Thu May 29 10:48:25 CDT 2008

It is experience that protects, not gear.  Going "ultralight" does not
put one at risk.  Going ultralight without knowing how to read a
situation (which includes the gear one is carrying) and how to make a
rational choice based on that assessment puts one at risk.

I hiked in mid- and late-June 2005 from Manning to White Pass as part of
a longer section hike.  The first five days were pretty much in blowing
snow and sleet.  I wore shorts and was totally comfortable.  Going
through the Goat Rocks I went through rain and didn't get my raincoat on
fast enough.  Once I started going downhill I got cold, and pitched my
tent at 1PM just beyond Sheep Lake and went to bed.  I blew it.  I let
my need to get off the knife edge north of the Packwood snow
pack/glacier to friendlier climes outweigh my rational knowledge that
said I should stop and put on rain gear.  I had to start shivering to
realize I was hypothermic and needed to get dry and warm.  It took four
hours of lying in the tent to stop shivering, relax, and feel warm.  The
day before Donkey, Gizmo and Godman had turned back while halfway up the
knife edge.  One of them told a hiker, "you could die up there."

Again, it is experience and the sense to use the wisdom gained from it,
not gear or theory that will keep major risk at bey...

Jeffrey Olson (Jeff, just Jeff)
Santa Rosa, CA