[pct-l] the fuss about prepardness

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 13:00:19 CDT 2008

>>Over the years, I've constantly debated with myself, the merits of
>>ultralight backpacking.  I think its a great philosophy and a good starting
>>point, but I have never been able to completely embrace the philosophy for
>>just the reasons we are discussing today.

The heaviest part of ultralight backpacking is the hard earned experience you need to get to that point.

I agree that most people should not adopt a sub-10 lb kit. Part of this kit is the knowledge of how to use gear in the appropriate context.

As mentioned, having done the AT does not necessarily make you prepared for the PCT..or the reverse.

For myself, I know my hiking style. I know what works for me. But it took me while to get there.

While I would not suggest a 8lb tent, a 7lb pack and 4 lb sleeping bag for everyone, neither would I suggest a 5x8 tarp, a 1lb ruck sack and 40F bag in the Sierra for someone who has never backpacked before either.

Going ultralight is not dangerous. Going ultralight without the knowledge and experience to use the gear *IS* dangerous. But, that is true for any gear. :)

Just my .05 worth.

ps. If anyone is curious, here is how my gear evolved over the miles. I need to update it for post-CDT.  There is always more to learn about the outdoors.
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=33

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com